Is there anything more frustrating than finding your dog has used your favorite area rug to take care of business. Dog urine will ruin your flooring faster than anything else will. If your dog is peeing inside, you need to do everything you can to get them not to do it. Heart of Texas Chem-Dry, LLC is here to share some tips to help you train your dog to pee outside rather than in.
Giving Puppy Treats for Potty Training
Before you get started in the journey to potty training your pet, you will need to gather a few helpful supplies. First, find their favorite treat. This could be some cooked chicken or even small squares of cheese. This will be the biggest motivator for your dog to actually do what you want him/her to.
How to Potty Train a Dog
The most effective way to potty train your animal is to come up with a routine. If your dog is used to following this routine each day, the goal of potty training will be reached much quicker. Here are the steps to creating a good routine:
– Spend Time with Dog During Potty Training: Before you get your pet, carve out some time that will allow you to spend as much time as possible with them during the training period. If possible, take some time off work to help make this a success. This is critical in the first week.
– 8 Potty Breaks a Day: You don’t ever want your dog’s bladder to be so full that they feel the need to relieve themselves in your home. If you give your dog 8 potty breaks in a day, you will find that they won’t pee in your house.
– Potty Break at the Same Time: If possible, make sure the breaks are closely timed. You want to be going outside at the same time each day. This will get your dog into the routine of going outside to go potty. They will quickly learn when to be standing at the door ready to go outside.
– Reward with Plenty of Treats: Your dog lives to please you. They love your praise. They also really love treats. Every time your dog goes potty outside or on command, reward them. If you are using a clicker to train them, give them a click and a treat every single time you see them use the potty outside.
– Be Careful When Punishing: It can be frustrating when they have an accident inside. It is important that you don’t punish them when you don’t see it actually happen. They will have moved on and will not understand why you are angry with them. All you will need to do is make a loud noise like a clap and take them immediately outside so they understand that is where you want them to go.
Carpet Cleaning Services, Stain Removal & More in Waco, Dallas, Arlington, Harker Heights, Cedar Park, Allen & the State of Texas
When you are training a dog, accidents are bound to happen. It is important that you are prepared to get these accidents removed from your carpet completely. You can rely on Heart of Texas Chem-Dry LLC to keep your carpets clean and free of dog urine. Call us today!