We sometimes forget the importance of daily maintenance as residential and commercial owners that feature carpets in our homes or buildings. Caring for the carpets is crucial for the presentation and longevity. Sometimes busy schedules or lack of exposure has caused poor maintenance to the carpets, which will make them look dull, dingy, and expedite their natural deterioration. Performing the appropriate tasks on a routine bases can keep your carpets looking rejuvenated, pristine, and extend the lifespan. Considering this, we at Heart of Texas Chem-Dry would like to offer some tips and advice on maintenance, care, and preservation of your carpet to enjoy the beautiful carpets in your home or business far beyond its years.
Carpet Cleaning & Care Basics
1) In an effort to reduce the amount of dirt and debris tracked in on the bottom of shoes place both indoor and outdoor walk-off mats at the entry and exit points of the home or business.
2) Test the rugs for colorfastness before placing them on the carpet to ensure the colors don’t run as many area rugs, runners, or walk-off mats can bleed their colors onto your carpet.
3) Vacuum under the various rugs placed in the home or business once a week or more frequently if necessary. Keeping the loose dirt that is trapped between the rug and the carpet needs to be periodically will better preserve the carpets condition and minimize the volume of dirt that settles below the carpet pad.
4) For windows that permit direct sunlight, be sure to install UV protector films, blinds, curtains, or other window treatments to preserve the carpet from the fading and damaging effects of the sun. Additionally, rearrange the furniture if possible to create new walking patterns to even out the wear.
5) Professional deep carpet cleaning should be performed 1-2 times a year and include upholstery cleaning at the same time to avoid cross contamination.
6) Vacuuming at the end of the day is ideal, but not everyone can afford the time to get it done. Just be sure that the high-traffic areas are vacuumed at least 2-3 times a week and the areas of carpet are vacuumed at least once a week.
7) The vacuum itself should be cleaned once a month to ensure efficiency when vacuuming.
8) Never allow spots or stains to fester whenever possible and treat them with your favorite carpet stain remover cleaner or use ¼ tsp of a bleach-free liquid detergent combined with 1 cup of cool water to treat the stains.
9) Perform a patch test of your preferred stain treatment on your carpet in an inconspicuous area to ensure the carpet’s color is not altered or the chemical agents cause damage.
10) Be sure to re-apply the stain-resistant protector to your carpets as frequently as needed as over time the protective layer eventually dissipates and following a professional cleaning. Keep mind that these formulas are only designed to help resistant staining and stains and spots need to be immediately removed as soon as possible.