If you find yourself constantly struggling with allergies or asthma, it may be more than something seasonal. Dust mites are a common problem for allergy and asthma sufferers everywhere. While they may be tiny, they can cause big problems for your health and the health of your family if they aren’t eliminated. Heart of Texas Chem-Dry is here to talk about dust mites and how they affect your health as well as some tips to help keep the dust mite population down in your home.
Dust Mites are in Carpets, Sofas, Mattresses & More
Dust mites are so tiny that they can exist in your home and you don’t even realize it. They are the size of a speck of dust and often are mistaken for dust. They multiply and create waste that will take over your home in no time, causing problems for your health and cleanliness. They feed off of dead skin cells which makes your home the perfect place to live.
Harmful Effects of Dust Mites on Your Health
The waste that dust mites create trigger allergies in many people. You may experience sneezing, runny nose, inflamed skin, itchiness, red eyes and even wheezing. Not everyone has an immune system that can handle the waste left behind from dust mites. Sometimes your immune system may confuse this waste as a threat and these symptoms are often a reaction to the confusion. If you suffer from allergies and respiratory problems already, dust mites will only further complicate things.
How to Get Rid of Mites in Your House
There are several steps you can take in your home to eliminate dust mites.
– Wash Bedding Often. You should be washing your bedding at least once a week to keep dust mites away.
– Keep Carpet Cleaned. Having your carpet professionally cleaned helps to eliminate dust mites. They tend to multiply like crazy and carpeting is the perfect place for them to hide out.
– Dust Using a Damp Rag. When you use a dry cloth to dust your furniture it just stirs up dust mites and doesn’t eliminate them. A damp cloth traps them in the cloth and gets rid of them.
– Take Advantage of the Dryer. It has been proven that nothing will kill dust mites like the dryer. Not only does it kill dust mites, but their eggs as well. This is why washing your bedding is so important.
– Keep Humidity Low. Dust mites can’t thrive in a dry environment. Keeping the humidity low in your home will keep dust mites away as well as eliminate a chance of mold growth.
Carpet Cleaning & More in Waco, Dallas, Harker Heights, Cedar Park, Allen & the State of Texas
If it has been a while since you have had your carpeting professionally cleaned, the carpet cleaning professionals at Heart of Texas Chem-Dry can remedy that. We offer professional carpeting cleaning to help you eliminate the dust mite population in your home. Don’t allow yourself to suffer from the effects of dust mites; call us today to set up your next appointment.