Pops, colas, fizz, sodas, and soda stains are all one in the same. No matter what you want to call it, these stains are more than a nuisance, they are difficult to remove and the longer they set in, the more of a challenge they are to lift out of the carpet. We at Heart of Texas Chem-Dry would like to share how you can get those soft drink stains out of the carpet and even the upholstery. A quick reminder, no matter if you opt to use our home remedy solution or a carpet cleaner, always perform a patch test in an inconspicuous area to make sure the fibers are not going to lighten or be compromised.
How to Clean Soda Out of Carpet
In a squirt bottle, combine 1 TBS liquid dish soap, 1 cup white vinegar, and 2 cups of water. Never over saturate, the area; if necessary, blot the moisture with a dry cloth in between applications.
1) Dampen a cloth with the solution and begin blotting the stain if it has already dried. If the spot is fresh, remove the excess moisture with a few paper towels by placing them over the spot to draw up the soda liquid.
2) Repeat until the stain has dissipated.
3) After you have removed the stain, use a sponge or cloth dampen with pure water to rinse the solution residue, pat and blot the area clean.
4) After a thorough rinse, use a dry towel to absorb the remaining moisture to dry the area to the best of your ability.
5) If a stain is still visible after it has completely dry, apply rubbing alcohol to a few cotton balls and dab the stain to pull out the remainder stain out of the carpet.
6) Lightly mist the treated area with water and place a dry cloth over the top to dry the area and remove the layer of alcohol.
7) Use a dry towel to absorb the lingering moisture to get the spot dry as possible.
This method is ideal for the colored soft drinks including red, orange, and purple. For the colas, root beers, and other caramel colored sodas, a dry cleaning solvent used according to the label’s directions is more effective.
If you have difficulty, removing the stain can be done by adding a few tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, however, these chemicals are known to lighten carpet dye and you risk lightening your carpet’s color adding it to the formula.
Do not use hot water or steam machines to treat the stains or you could set the stains in the carpet. When adding the liquid dish soap, never go overboard, otherwise you will have a soapy film left on the carpet that is difficult to remove. Blotting and patting is all you should do to remove stains, rubbing and scrubbing only pushes the substances out wider and deeper into the carpet.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Waco, Dallas, Harker Heights, Cedar Park, Allen & the State of Texas
When stains have the opportunity to linger, they become more difficult to remove. Some stains can be challenging to remove. If your soft drink stains or other stains are persistent, call in the professionals at Heart of Texas Chem-Dry and let our trained technicians take care of the blemishes on your carpets. Not only will we free your carpets of the stains, but we will get the dirt and debris extracted and neutralize odors, leaving your carpets clean, vibrant and fresh.