With outside temperatures beginning to drop and the leaves on the trees beginning to fall homeowners across the country are busy getting ready for the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. Thanksgiving and Christmas holds the promise of spending quality time with family and friends, and the resulting festivities in the form of holiday lights, decorations and of lots of good food and tasty treats. Unfortunately enjoying food and drink with your guests also has its fair share of accidental spills and the resulting clean-ups. As much as we all enjoy the holidays, it can also be a stressful and exhausting time of the year. The knowledgeable professionals at Heart of Texas Chem-Dry are the experts when it comes to cleaning up spills during the holiday season and have provided the following clean up tips to help you enjoy a happy, stress and stain free holiday season.
Preventative Carpet Cleaning Tips for a Stress Free Holiday Season
• Begin by placing area rugs in the entrances and high traffic areas to protect your carpets from the stains and debris inadvertently brought into your home by guesting walking in and out. You can also ask your guests to remove their shoes to help prevent dirt and oils from being tracked into carpeted areas of your home.
• Before your guests arrive for a holiday gathering, thoroughly vacuum your carpets and area rugs to remove any existing dirt from being crushed down into the carpet fibers.
• Unfortunately the number of guests that you have in your home drastically increases the risk of a spill. If you encounter a spill accident, don’t panic, instead blot with lukewarm water and use a clean white towel to absorb as much of the stain as possible.
• Once your party is over and your guests have left, take a moment to vacuum concentrating on high traffic areas to remove any food crumbs and other debris from your carpets and rugs to help prevent bacteria and mold growth.
Tips to Remove Tough Stains from Carpet
If you happen to come across an accidental stain or spill your first response will be to go into panic mode, fortunately your Heart of Texas Chem-Dry carpet cleaning specialists have a few tips and tricks to make stain removal at home pain free.
1. If you find a stain don’t rub it into the carpet fibers, instead carefully remove any larger particles before blotting up as much of the liquid as you can.
2. Never pour water directly over the stain. This practice will allow the stain to spread deep into the carpet fibers and padding making it much harder to remove along with encouraging the stain to return
3. For liquid spills, being by pressing a clean white cloth onto the stain soaking up as much of the liquid as possible before blotting the area with a clean cloth soaked in lukewarm water. Repeat from the outside edge of the stain towards the center until the stain is removed. Allow to dry for one hour and repeat if necessary.
4. For stubborn stains, contact your Heart of Texas Chem-Dry carpet cleaning specialist to schedule a professional stain removal and carpet cleaning service.